GPS issue with lemfo lem8

Hello,
I’m new to this forum, I really appreciate your work.

I’ve received my Lemfo lem8 as a birthday present and I like it very much, but I have problems with GPS. Before sending it back to the seller to have it replaced, spending time and money, I would like to know whether there is something I can try to fix this problem.
Navigator apps like Google maps can locate my position and track my route only with GPS and 3g acting together, while gps alone gets no signal (tested with apps like GPS test). Even when Google maps seems to work, fitness tracking apps (those preinstalled in the watch) show km value always to zero. In the same situation my smartphone gets rapidly 3d fix and shows clear signal from several satellites.
It’s just a faulty device, or there is something I can try?

Thank you.

1p4zi4 AvatarDec 31, 2018 18:19:23 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
Hello, I'm new to this forum, I really appreciate your work.

I’ve received my Lemfo lem8 as a birthday present and I like it very much, but I have problems with GPS. Before sending it back to the seller to have it replaced, spending time and money, I would like to know whether there is something I can try to fix this problem.
Navigator apps like Google maps can locate my position and track my route only with GPS and 3g acting together, while gps alone gets no signal (tested with apps like GPS test). Even when Google maps seems to work, fitness tracking apps (those preinstalled in the watch) show km value always to zero. In the same situation my smartphone gets rapidly 3d fix and shows clear signal from several satellites.

Thank you.

Doesn't sound good after trying GPS test . If after trying factory reset and having latest firmware installed it's bad news I'm afraid . My lemfo Lem 8 never had a SIM in it and GPS lock super fast .

Thank you.

Hi!

It can be a software problem. Flash the new firmware 1.3 from this forum ( drive.google.com/file/d/1iUzfBWSf41GPAByDNkj5DUg9YgD6bo3O/view ) and test again. Hopefully it works than. If not, send it back. And make a factory reset after flashing the new version of firmware to clean all the partitions and caches.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Am I missing something here? "Navigator apps like Google maps can locate my position and track my route only with GPS and 3g acting together," does Google Maps not require an internet connection to work? 

“fitness tracking apps (those preinstalled in the watch) show km value always to zero;” As I understand it the fitness tracking apps installed on the watch do not use GPS to record your distance but work off of the step count recorder or pedometer.

I have used the GPS testing apps but the true test is if your location appears in the apps requiring a GPS signal.

Aside: I use MapsMe for map work on the watch. The maps are preloaded and it works off of the GPS signal and does not require an internet connection.

It can be a software problem. Flash the new firmware 1.3 from this forum ( drive.google.com/file/d/1iUzfBWSf41GPAByDNkj5DUg9YgD6bo3O/view ) and test again. Hopefully it works than. If not, send it back. And make a factory reset after flashing the new version of firmware to clean all the partitions and caches.

Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your reply. How can I check the firmware version installed on my watch?I have updated the firmware a few days after receiving it, following the watch notification. Should I try to do a factory reset then?

Jan 1, 2019 14:53:17 GMT 1 capt jon said:
Am I missing something here? "Navigator apps like Google maps can locate my position and track my route only with GPS and 3g acting together," does Google Maps not require an internet connection to work? 

Internet should be necessary to download the maps data, but localisation shouldn’t be independent? If I set gps to use only gps signal the app is unable to localize me at all.

"fitness tracking apps (those preinstalled in the watch) show km value always to zero;" As I understand it the fitness tracking apps installed on the watch do not use GPS to record your distance but work off of the step count recorder or pedometer.

Are you sure? And how could they track I’m in different situations (walk, run, bike…) using just the pedometer?

I have used the GPS testing apps but the true test is if your location appears in the apps requiring a GPS signal.

So what do you suggest to use to test if gps is ok?

Aside: I use MapsMe for map work on the watch. The maps are preloaded and it works off of the GPS signal and does not require an internet connection.

Thank you, I’ll consider it.

Jan 1, 2019 14:53:17 GMT 1 capt jon said:

Internet should be necessary to download the maps data, but localisation shouldn't be independent? If I set gps to use only gps signal the app is unable to localize me at all.

I checked with my smartphone, if I enable gps only, disabling both wifi and mobile data, and selecting in the navigation settings to use gps alone, Google maps can locate my position, even inside a building and back whether. On the contrary, the watch can’t locate my position even if I am in open air, with good weather and while moving.

1p4zi4 AvatarJan 1, 2019 16:10:03 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:

Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your reply. How can I check the firmware version installed on my watch?I have updated the firmware a few days after receiving it, following the watch notification. Should I try to do a factory reset then?

Go to Settings, than "About Watch", on the bottom you will find your version info. If you have 1.2, i would suggest to update to the 1.3 from here, because the 1.2 have some battery and gps problems. My GPS is very much better now with 1.3. i use Sygic, and it runs very good. GPS-Test shows me 20 sattelites and 3 meter accuracy. But of cource, it must also work with gps, bluetooth and wiffi on at the same time. Maybe its the firmware. have a look what version you on. i am shure its 1.2.
Jan 1, 2019 18:19:04 GMT 1 oel said:
1p4zi4 AvatarJan 1, 2019 16:10:03 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:

Go to Settings, than "About Watch", on the bottom you will find your version info. If you have 1.2, i would suggest to update to the 1.3 from here, because the 1.2 have some battery and gps problems. My GPS is very much better now with 1.3. i use Sygic, and it runs very good. GPS-Test shows me 20 sattelites and 3 meter accuracy. But of cource, it must also work with gps, bluetooth and wiffi on at the same time. Maybe its the firmware. have a look what version you on. i am shure its 1.2.

Ok thanks, now I found it, it is indeed version 1.2
Where I can find instructions to update firmware? I’m very new to this kind of things.
Thank you very much for your help

Jan 1, 2019 18:19:04 GMT 1 oel said:

Ok thanks, now I found it, it is indeed version 1.2 Where I can find instructions to update firmware? I'm very new to this kind of things. Thank you very much for your help
It is not difficult....

You need to download Flastool v5.1812  ( spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-1812  ) and here are the instructions, you find it in the download zip from Flashtool:

Download and install 7zip before you do anything! You will use this for extracting files.

1. Put your Windows PC into the mode where driver signing is not required.(if you don’t know how - Google search it)

2. Extract the firmware zip to a folder on your desktop. Inside this folder you will find the firmware the MTK drivers and the Flash Tool.

3. Extract the MTK driver install program to your desktop and install the drivers.

4. Reboot and then unzip the included SP Flash Tool zip to your desktop.

5. Go into the SP Tools folder and run the .exe file for SP Tools.

6. In flash tool GUI select the scatter file which is inside the image folder in the LEM7 firmware folder you extracted to your desktop.

7. In SP Tools GUI options select firmware upgrade tick box and make sure all files are selected.

8. Make sure watch is seated correctly on the power bank charger and connect charger to your PC by USB cable.

9. Click on Downlaod (Green Arrow) in SP Flash Tool at top right of the GUI.

10. On your watch - select reboot and the watch will flash on reboot.

11. After watch has rebooted go to watch settings and perform “Reset Equipment” - a factory reset.

12. After watch has finished booting go to watch settings and in Date & Time - set your time zone.

13. Set up watch - finished.

If you like too root your watch, about this we can talk later.

Jan 1, 2019 18:50:33 GMT 1 oel said:
1p4zi4 AvatarJan 1, 2019 18:34:48 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
Ok thanks, now I found it, it is indeed version 1.2 Where I can find instructions to update firmware? I'm very new to this kind of things. Thank you very much for your help

It is not difficult....

You need to download Flastool v5.1812  ( spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-1812  ) and here are the instructions, you find it in the download zip from Flashtool:

Download and install 7zip before you do anything! You will use this for extracting files.

1. Put your Windows PC into the mode where driver signing is not required.(if you don’t know how - Google search it)

2. Extract the firmware zip to a folder on your desktop. Inside this folder you will find the firmware the MTK drivers and the Flash Tool.

3. Extract the MTK driver install program to your desktop and install the drivers.

6. In flash tool GUI select the scatter file which is inside the image folder in the LEM7 firmware folder you extracted to your desktop.

7. In SP Tools GUI options select firmware upgrade tick box and make sure all files are selected.

8. Make sure watch is seated correctly on the power bank charger and connect charger to your PC by USB cable.

11. After watch has rebooted go to watch settings and perform “Reset Equipment” - a factory reset.

12. After watch has finished booting go to watch settings and in Date & Time - set your time zone.

Thank you, I have tried, but I’m stuck at point 8: I connect the watch with its charging base at the usb port, but when I click the download button nothing happens, neither on the watch nor on the the flash tool window, which remains grayed out.

At point 3 I installed the android gadget driver, as shown in the link in the sp tool zip, is it right?

Jan 1, 2019 18:50:33 GMT 1 oel said:
It is not difficult....

Thank you, I have tried, but I'm stuck at point 8: I connect the watch with its charging base at the usb port, but when I click the download button nothing happens, neither on the watch nor on the the flash tool window, which remains grayed out.

At point 3 I installed the android gadget driver, as shown in the link in the sp tool zip, is it right?
You must click the download button and than you must click the reboot button on your watch! the flashing starts when the watch reboots. After all you will see a green arrow on your pc, now you must take the watch apart from the charger to restart it.

I don’t know what I’ve been missing, I followed the instruction, I have the flash tool with all files selected and “Firmware upgrade” selected, I connect the watch, I click on download button, I restart the watch, but it just restarts. I also tried to connect the watch turned off, and turning it on after pressing the download button, nothing changes.

Perhaps I haven’t installed properly the drivers, I followed the instructions at the link included in the zip files, I understad only Android gadget is to be installed.

1p4zi4 AvatarJan 2, 2019 10:42:06 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
I don't know what I've been missing, I followed the instruction, I have the flash tool with all files selected and "Firmware upgrade" selected, I connect the watch, I click on download button, I restart the watch, but it just restarts. I also tried to connect the watch turned off, and turning it on after pressing the download button, nothing changes.

Perhaps I haven’t installed properly the drivers, I followed the instructions at the link included in the zip files, I understad only Android gadget is to be installed.

Okay.

I think it have to do with the data cable. Use a different cable, and i am shure it will work. The usb cable from Lemfo is a faulty cable. 

As for point 3, I have found no install programm with the drivers, just inf files I have installed manually.

1p4zi4 AvatarJan 2, 2019 10:59:21 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
As for point 3, I have found no install programm with the drivers, just inf files I have installed manually.

Unter "VCOM drivers Win7&8 32&64" you will find the installation app "dpinst" or "DPinst64"

Excuse me, but in the file archive you linked to me there is a zip file named FlashToolsAndDriver.zip, in it there is a directory named Android_CDC_Driver with no exe files, just inf files. I have searched for VCOM drivers for MT67xx and I find no dpinst file, just an InstallDriver file, which exits with a “driver installed successfully” message, but in Devices I don’t see any new item. Can you give me the correct link where I can dowload the drivers from? I’m tring to follow the instructions but what I see is not what you or other guides on the internet say. Thank you.

1p4zi4 AvatarJan 2, 2019 11:13:07 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
Excuse me, but in the file archive you linked to me there is a zip file named FlashToolsAndDriver.zip, in it there is a directory named Android_CDC_Driver with no exe files, just inf files. I have searched for VCOM drivers for MT67xx and I find no dpinst file, just an InstallDriver file, which exits with a "driver installed successfully" message, but in Devices I don't see any new item. Can you give me the correct link where I can dowload the drivers from? I'm tring to follow the instructions but what I see is not what you or other guides on the internet say. Thank you.

i am uploading the installation files. wait for the link...

mega.nz/#!GoxwRYbK!LAY38ksR2hWmicwGektSxlo-Diwxade4EuFSObHACRw

Thank you very much, but I’m still having problems, I’m feeling very stupid and apologize for wasting your time.
I entered the mode that disables signature driver verification, and installed the drivers you linked. Installation claims to be successfull. I rebooted, opened SP tools, loaded scatter file, selected firmware upgrade, connected watch (which results connected as the watch shows the thunder icon), pressed on download button, rebooted watch, but it just reboots.
I thought firmware upgrade could solve my problem but I don’t know how to do it. Is there some other procedure I can try?

1p4zi4 AvatarJan 2, 2019 12:58:33 GMT 1 1p4zi4 said:
Thank you very much, but I'm still having problems, I'm feeling very stupid and apologize for wasting your time. I entered the mode that disables signature driver verification, and installed the drivers you linked. Installation claims to be successfull. I rebooted, opened SP tools, loaded scatter file, selected firmware upgrade, connected watch (which results connected as the watch shows the thunder icon), pressed on download button, rebooted watch, but it just reboots. I thought firmware upgrade could solve my problem but I don't know how to do it. Is there some other procedure I can try?

No problem, bro...

Do you using the original usb cable or another one?

The clock is connected properly with the charger? Thats an important thing, because the connection to the USB is easy lost after a slight move.

Maybe you have to stop your firewall for the procedure?

Other members here with ideas?