How to switch off cellular

Hi,

Because I live far out on a farm, with limited mobile signal coverage indoors, my Prime has been struggling to get a signal all the time. I am guessing this means both very much more activity than a permanent standby on a good signal, and that it’s cellular radio will also send on max power. All this resulting in 5.1% power drop pr. hour, only for cellular.

So I decided to activate flight mode, and then enable Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS as I needed them.

But then I started to have confusing disconnect problems on Watch Droid… I think I have now found out that in flight mode the Bluetooth is disabled when the screen is off. Which off course makes sense because then you don’t use the device…

So the good question is, which other means/settings do we have to switch off the cellular radio, without affecting Bluetooth ?

@Dr_Andy_Vishnu, this could explain both my power troubles and my Bluetooth troubles.

I’m just winging it here, however try this maybe…
Go to settings>more>Background cleaner. Turn on Battery saver, click the explanatory text, then choose which apps you want to remain active when the screen is off. I don’t know if Watch Droid will appear in the list as I don’t have it installed.
Go to settings>more>Data saver. Turn Data saver on, click the explanatory text, then enable Watch Droid to have unrestricted data access if it appears in the list.

:expressionless:I hope this is correct and helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you for offering help @Louis_Peek.

I checked that Background cleaner countless times, and I have it always off for Watch Droid.

The Data Saver I just found today, and I did exactly what you suggest, but it didn’t make any difference.

It seems that in Flight Mode, the background/datasave is overruled when screen is off, perhaps to minimize radio noise in an airplane environment, which makes sense. Only not good in my case, if this is the only way to switch off the cellular…

1 Like

Poop! Nice try LOL! Oh well. :upside_down_face:

Try 3G or even 2G…They use far less power.

1 Like

If I understand your question correctly you can put the watch in airplane mode and still use the other functions. After you turn on airplane mode swipe down and go to the second page where you can select the other options. By tapping the desired functions, BT, WiFi or GPS you can activate them or deactivate them and they will function normally. They will light up to show they are activated. Also if you are using Watch Droid (WD) you can turn on BT by activating it in the WD app. This is how I use my Lem 10 all the time since I only turn off Airplane mode if I need the Phone or Data functions.

1 Like

Hi Johnathan,

Unfortunately, if I switch on airplane mode, and then enable Bluetooth, then I loose connection to Watch Droid a few seconds after the screen lock starts. :grimacing:
When airplane mode is not enabled, this doesn’t happen.

I am not famiIiar with the Kospet Prime. I am currently using Lem 10 or Lem 11 watches and have never had an issue with BT & WD after turning off the background cleaner and battery saver if applicable. Which version of Watch Droid are you running? I use version 9.0 in all my watches. You might try un-pairing the watch and uninstalling the WD app. Reboot the watch and re-install the WD app and re-pair through the app, if possible on your watch. I always use the WD app to turn on/off BT.
Just a suggestion.

2 Likes