WiiWatch app feedback

Hi all!

I’d like this thread to be a place to share opinions, questions, sugestions and requests concerning WiiWatch app introduced with latest firmwares (May 2017) so they all be in one place

So let’s start

Generally it’s a step in a right direction. It doesn’t instantly crash on Android 7.0 though is not all that stable. Works most of the time.

On the plus side there is

• nicer interface

• ability to start Heart Rate monitor

• works with Android 7.0 Nougat

• there is a vibration when phone and watch disconnect (tho there is no info on the watch about it short of icon on the top screen with battery/GSM info) - supposedly this functionality should work with older app but never did for me

• HRM can be started and closed from app (edit 2017-06-09)

On the downside there is a bit more:

• drains battery - this mostly due to extensive use of location service - why this is needed beats me. I thought that disallowing it to access location services will reduce the drain but afterward it’s unable to connect to watch (and I don’t realy understand why)

• there is no way to select which app can send notifications to watch - with stock launcher I get notified of everything… even when I start typing with GBoard or when phone is charging and updates it’s notfication every percent

• the only button I can see on notification is “Dismiss” (with WiiWear app there was also “Open” and some others depending on the app that sent notification)

• colored background with icon most of the times makes text harder to read (that’s not changed since WiiWear)

- HRM can be started from app but can’t be closed from app (not sure if this is doable but surely would be nice to have)

Just my 0.05$

N.

I’ve seen pretty much the same things you have, although the battery drain issue I’ve experienced appears to be related to the Bluetooth connection being lost and the watch keeps searching for the phone but the phone does not reconnect to the watch automatically. As long as I go back into the app on the phone and open the device management under settings it will reconnect and stops the battery drain on the watch. I definitely am looking forward to granularity over the notification settings, as things like making or receiving phone calls sets the watch off repeatedly. I haven’t noticed any real glitches on the watch itself with the new firmware on my I3, certainly it’s no less stable than the previous firmware.

For me bt connection between watch and phone is solid. To a point that when aggressice notifications get on my nerves I just disable BT on watch. 8 out of 10 it reconnects on the spot after enabling BT on watch.
At least on my KW88 BT has 2 interfaces: BLE and normal one. WiiWatch sometimes sees only non-BLE MAC address and in that case it keeps disconnecting indeed.

I found out recently that using remote music on Watch now starts Google Music on my phone (SinWear/WiiWear was launching Samsung player).

In case you didn’t notice WiiWatch is available on Google Play (that’s what I’m using right now). It has same version number (1.0) dated May 26th, 2017 the only difference I see to app pointed by QR code is missing “Help” (or something along this line) on the settings screen and is 480kb smaller

WiiWear is also available on Google Play in slightly bumped version (not working with May firmware)

I just noticed that first time I grabbed WiiWatch app from weiitetech site has slightly different size (like hundred bytes or so). So I probably never tested the app pointed to by QR code. Will try it later

Yesterday I flashed Zeblaze Thor firmware on my watch and to my surprise it’s using WiiWear app and not WiiWatch. So I’ve tested it for a bit. On Android 7 it’s not crashing instantly but still crashes within max an hour

pablo11 do you have any knowledge of the differences between WiiWear/WiiWatch apps pointed to by QR codes and apps from Google Play? Or maybe you can give us a hint when those hosted on Weitetech site are updated?

Yes I can, I upload the files.

Update is due at the end of this month at the latest

Jun 9, 2017 11:24:19 GMT 1 nameless said:
Yesterday I flashed Zeblaze Thor firmware on my watch and to my surprise it's using WiiWear app and not WiiWatch. So I've tested it for a bit. On Android 7 it's not crashing instantly but still crashes within max an hour

pablo11 do you have any knowledge of the differences between WiiWear/WiiWatch apps pointed to by QR codes and apps from Google Play? Or maybe you can give us a hint when those hosted on Weitetech site are updated?

Please let me know where I can obtain the Zeblaze Thor FW
Jun 14, 2017 3:24:46 GMT 1 oatthanupong said:
Jun 9, 2017 11:24:19 GMT 1 nameless said:

/board/12/factory-firmware-downloads

Jun 14, 2017 10:44:27 GMT 1 soniasophie9697 said:

Jun 14, 2017 3:24:46 GMT 1 oatthanupong said:

/board/12/factory-firmware-downloads

How do we install this? Is it just a case of dragging the unzipped files across to the Thor via Windows Explorer? 

Just started using the new WiiWatch app cause the old WiiWear started crashing on start(Nougat). So flashed I3 May FW on DM368. First impression, nice redesign of health and long press settings.
The wiiwatch app is working on android 7.0. Its HR monitoring capability is good, just need to refine it for triggering it automatically (i think we are now more closer to this feature). The app uses too much battery due to GPS usage for 2 hrs straight. So needless to say, disabled its location permission. Will observe any other problems or updates and report back here.

pablo11 can you give us a hint about what to expect in newer ver.

P.S i am using the weitetech ver of app, will change to Google play later

It’s going to be refined to enable only desired notifications and the phone app in general will be fixed up.

pablo11

thanks for the info.

Just a headsup, that denying location permission to the Wiiwatch will not let it connect to smartwatch. So either choose battery saving mode of location services or use Android privacy guard to disallow fine or coarse location requests to the app. Will test this and edit here if it improves battery life.

Apparently couple of days ago WiiWatch on Google Play was updated to version 1.4. Changelog says that Google Maps got fixed. In reality this means that WiiWatch stopped draining battery due to excessive usage of location services. Despite the workaround (shown here for example) this was major issue with this app. After couple of hours of my phone reports 0% of battery usage

Location view still does nothing (at least for me).

Still no notification shows on my watch when someone is calling me (I suspect that this might be some Samsung fault)

Some time ago I discovered that it’s next to impossible to keep data BT tethering and WiiWatch at the same time. I turn it on max couple minutes later it’s off (w/o WiiWatch I had this running for hours)

When checking if there is newer version available from within the app toast text is in German

(even tho I have phone in Polish and all other texts in app are in English)

All in all another step in right direction