Wi not detecting SIM card

Hi all, after a lot of research (helped by you chaps and your excellent knowledge and videos) I ordered an Allcall W1, which finally arrived and I must say I am impressed with the quality of the build and the beautiful screen, it really is a pleasure to look at. Sooo much better than my D7 I sent back, by a margin that can be measured on the galactic scale! 

However, I took my SIM card out of my IPhone and put it in the watch, only to find that the watch did not recognise it. I have cleaned it, put it back in, fiddled around with it, but to no avail. It just says there is no SIM. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I need to press on the watch to get it working? Or do I have a hardware issue here?

Mar 18, 2018 18:02:21 GMT 1 paulr said:
Hi all, after a lot of research (helped by you chaps and your excellent knowledge and videos) I ordered an Allcall W1, which finally arrived and I must say I am impressed with the quality of the build and the beautiful screen, it really is a pleasure to look at. Sooo much better than my D7 I sent back, by a margin that can be measured on the galactic scale! 

However, I took my SIM card out of my IPhone and put it in the watch, only to find that the watch did not recognise it. I have cleaned it, put it back in, fiddled around with it, but to no avail. It just says there is no SIM. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I need to press on the watch to get it working? Or do I have a hardware issue here?

the only way to say the problem is with the watch is try another sim and if so, then yes the problem is with the watch itself but most likely the sim is the problem. when you mean it says no sim, an actually msg? or just do'nt get any 3g connection?

It’s as if I have no SIM when I try to use the phone. SIM works fine in my phone. I’ll see if I can borrow my wife’s SIM & that would narrow it down as you say, thanks.

Tried another sim in and it does the same thing, it’s as if there is no sim in it at all.

Mar 19, 2018 23:17:44 GMT 1 paulr said:
Tried another sim in and it does the same thing, it’s as if there is no sim in it at all.

go to settings - connections - cellular networks - access point names.

if it is empty you need to create apns.

Thanks, but please excuse my ignorance, what is an apns and how do I create one?

BTW, ‘mobile networks’ is greyed out on my watch and will not let me access it.

Mar 20, 2018 9:36:27 GMT 1 paulr said:
Thanks, but please excuse my ignorance, what is an apns and how do I create one?

BTW, ‘mobile networks’ is greyed out on my watch and will not let me access it.

even with sim in it?? something tells me your imei is gone, check this plz and if so you should contact the seller and demand a refund or a new watch. *#06# on the dialer.

Yes, even with a SIM in it. Just checked it again. It has an imei number as well, just found it thanks, I just think it is a faulty SIM cradle. Amazing, my cheapy S3 plods away happily Bluetooth connecting and being a phone, my flashy new one struggles with everything apart from looking good!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Looks like I’ll be sending another one back!

Mar 20, 2018 17:37:00 GMT 1 paulr said:
Yes, even with a SIM in it. Just checked it again. It has an imei number as well, just found it thanks, I just think it is a faulty SIM cradle. Amazing, my cheapy S3 plods away happily Bluetooth connecting and being a phone, my flashy new one struggles with everything apart from looking good!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Looks like I’ll be sending another one back!

from where did you buy it?

Geekbuyer. Hope they will listen better than Gearbest!

Mar 20, 2018 23:28:15 GMT 1 paulr said:
Geekbuyer. Hope they will listen better than Gearbest!

most likely they will with gearbest i've heard this kind of things that is why i asked. i hope that you'll get a new one or a full refund it is just a shame that this great watch is sold that way.

Been fiddling with the watch and linking it with other phones, loaded up Search Settings, put the sim in this morning to take a video to send to Geekbuying - and it worked! don’t know what I did, but not complaining.

Now I need to voice control the texting and dialing. I’ll start another thread for that.

Thanks for your help here, appreciated.

Mar 21, 2018 9:36:50 GMT 1 paulr said:
Been fiddling with the watch and linking it with other phones, loaded up Search Settings, put the sim in this morning to take a video to send to Geekbuying - and it worked! don't know what I did, but not complaining.

Now I need to voice control the texting and dialing. I’ll start another thread for that.

Thanks for your help here, appreciated.

yes, the small letters drive me crazy too:/ you can only use voice control for writing not for any off line stuff cos google do’nt allow it on none Wear devices well…not small devices as smartwatches that are not Wear:/ but most likely with time even for that the chinese developers will find a solution:))))

For anyone else who may have this SIM issue, I think it was the sliding metal clip that holds the SIM in place. My one fell out, once I got it back in the SIM worked, so I suspect it just was not pushing the SIM in enough to make contact with all of the connectors. Although now it falls out when I remove the SIM, when in place everything is fine.

I’ve had the same problem paulr mentioned. As far as not recognizing the SIM, was the watch turned off when you put it in? My W1 only recognizes the SIM if I install it with the watch off and then turn it on. My Android phone works either way but not the watch.

I have found that is what you have to do. Turn the watch off, put SIM, turn it back on. SIM will then work.