Watchface Designer

where is the download link?

Jul 29, 2017 21:14:39 GMT 1 allelimo said:
about the moon phases: the names are not that important. the watch engine does not work. or, at least, I've never seen a working moonphase on a full android watch face. about the post on rasc on same kind of hand and rotation direction: it's not a CSM bug. it's a clock engine bug, and CSM (like with other watch engine bugs, i.e. the battery level, see my clockskinmaker tests on g+) tries to replicate the behaviour of the watch engine, be it "correct" or not. CSM is just a skin maker, it can't correct or add things to the clock engine. the best it can do is just replicate the way the clock engine works.

my csm tests page is here:
plus.google.com/u/0/collection/k8myPE

Thank you for the info and for the CSM tests page. My thought was that if CSM did it, it probably should have a reason to. But since I don't yet have an Android smartwatch, I could not verify it (and it could, in fact be just a bug). So, now I'll try to figure out on which conditions that happens. Maybe the "direction" tag really means "invert this type of rotation until next invert" It's really odd... Makes us wonder why these "features" exist since they are a lot harder to implement as they are than "correctly" 

About CSM being “just” a skin maker, yes, I know. Otherwise, you, or me, would have already implemented rotation on arraytypes, which, again, would be a lot easier to do than the current methods (which I’m still trying to master).

Jul 29, 2017 21:28:09 GMT 1 ahsanshafqat said:
where is the download link?

on the first post (page 1), on the version history. There's a link to each version, for history reasons, but you should only use the most recent one (0.4.3 right now). 

yes, it seems that “direction” is relative to previous direction of the same hand type.
and yes again, I know that a developer can understand how csm works, but often I see users understand the other way round. the clock engine is not depending on csm, it is the opposite: csm is depending on the clock engine.
btw, great job with your watchface designer. hopefully it will be able to replace csm, which will probably disappear in december, when codeplex will be shut down.
good luck

Jul 29, 2017 21:53:31 GMT 1 allelimo said:
yes, it seems that "direction" is relative to previous direction of the same hand type. and yes again, I know that a developer can understand how csm works, but often I see users understand the other way round. the clock engine is not depending on csm, it is the opposite: csm is depending on the clock engine. btw, great job with your watchface designer. hopefully it will be able to replace csm, which will probably disappear in december, when codeplex will be shut down. good luck

Can't you move csm to another repository? It'd be a shame for csm to disappear. I don't see Watchface Designer as a replacement to CSM. I see WatchFace Designer as the "beginner" (high-level) mode, while CSM is the "advanced" (lower-level) mode. CSM supports a lot more things than WatchFace Designer...

I don’t want to. csm is not my work, it’s 99% made by ricardo romero and I just put a 1% in the beta 2.0!
but ricardo is disappeared, I told him about codeplex shutdown and I’ve never heard from him since then (4 months ago)
I could move the beta 2.0 to github, but anyway csm/csm beta has never been really supported by rasc, I don’t think it will be much missed here.
I’m not very interested right now in further development of csm, but hey, it’s opensource. anyone can step in and take care of it

A couple of quick things:

As a complete beginner, and so, so NOT an artist, I found this and thought “ooh! That’s so simple even I can use it” and I can! I have stalled on the issue of analogue hands. Please can I ask how they’re made? I see they are png files. Do I assume made with a drawing app? And presumably transparent around the edges? I’d be glad of a bit of advice.

Secondly, because I always read the whole thread, my solution to the moon phase is to put “simple moon phase widget” and set as a widget screen in clockskin launcher. It looks Stunning.

Thank you for all your work.

Just copy / paster here my G+ comment :
Direction=2 means “change direction” for this counter (counter = second, minutes, or whatever), not CW or CCW. So if two layers use the same counter, the first to set direction=2 will change direction for all the other layers that uses the same counter and that will follow. To cancel this, the next layer that uses this counter has to put also direction=2.
+Marco Ferreira you can test on your Android phone using my Old standalone clockskin App
/thread/387/clockskin-universal-launcher-standalone-app

1 Like

about the latest post in rasc discussion: if you find it clearer, I can change the description of the “direction” field in CSM, something like “change or keep the previous counter of the same kind direction”.
or maybe a better description

Jul 30, 2017 8:18:03 GMT 1 revdkathy said:

As a complete beginner, and so, so NOT an artist, I found this and thought “ooh! That’s so simple even I can use it” and I can! I have stalled on the issue of analogue hands. Please can I ask how they’re made? I see they are png files. Do I assume made with a drawing app? And presumably transparent around the edges? I’d be glad of a bit of advice.

Secondly, because I always read the whole thread, my solution to the moon phase is to put “simple moon phase widget” and set as a widget screen in clockskin launcher. It looks Stunning.

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you are enjoying this app. On the issue of analogue hands… This is a part where WatchFace Designer is still lacking. I’m trying to figure out how to make it easy to design them, but I’m not there yet. I’m thinking on something along this line (very early Work In Progress, and not yet integrated with WFD):

In the mean time, you can use a paint application, such as photoshop, gimp, paint.net, inkscape, whatever, to draw your own watch hands. The main thing to consider is that the center of rotation of the hand must be at the center of the image. There is also a large library of watch hands available at watchawear’s site (http://www.watchawear.com/graphics/watch-hands.html). You can download and use them (according to their license, of course) on Watchface Designer. In fact, that’s what I did in the video of the first post, where I used one of their hand packs on the demo. Also, as you download and see them, you’ll get the idea on how to make them by your own. Notice, however, that watchawear hands are a little oversized for Clocksin (they were made for 512x512 .watch faces), so you main need to change the “scale” property of the image on Watchface Designer (again, as I did on the demo).

Finally, it is also possible, right now, to draw them directly on Watchface Designer. However, that can be a little hard, especially if you want to make any sort of complex hand. Here is a quick video I’ve done just to show you how you can make a (very simple) hand on Watchface Designer.

Jul 30, 2017 11:02:51 GMT 1 ricktop said:
+Marco Ferreira you can test on your Android phone using my Old standalone clockskin App /thread/387/clockskin-universal-launcher-standalone-app

Thank you. I will.
Jul 30, 2017 11:18:48 GMT 1 allelimo said:
about the latest post in rasc discussion: if you find it clearer, I can change the description of the "direction" field in CSM, something like "change or keep the previous counter of the same kind direction". or maybe a better description

maybe "keep" and "invert previous"? I don't know... But yes, as it is now, it is misleading.

Rotation direction: “keep” and “change” could work?

Jul 31, 2017 0:09:42 GMT 1 mpmf said:
Jul 30, 2017 8:18:03 GMT 1 revdkathy said:

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you are enjoying this app. On the issue of analogue hands… This is a part where WatchFace Designer is still lacking. I’m trying to figure out how to make it easy to design them, but I’m not there yet. I’m thinking on something along this line (very early Work In Progress, and not yet integrated with WFD):

In the mean time, you can use a paint application, such as photoshop, gimp, paint.net, inkscape, whatever, to draw your own watch hands. The main thing to consider is that the center of rotation of the hand must be at the center of the image. There is also a large library of watch hands available at watchawear’s site (http://www.watchawear.com/graphics/watch-hands.html). You can download and use them (according to their license, of course) on Watchface Designer. In fact, that’s what I did in the video of the first post, where I used one of their hand packs on the demo. Also, as you download and see them, you’ll get the idea on how to make them by your own. Notice, however, that watchawear hands are a little oversized for Clocksin (they were made for 512x512 .watch faces), so you main need to change the “scale” property of the image on Watchface Designer (again, as I did on the demo).

Finally, it is also possible, right now, to draw them directly on Watchface Designer. However, that can be a little hard, especially if you want to make any sort of complex hand. Here is a quick video I’ve done just to show you how you can make a (very simple) hand on Watchface Designer.

Thank you so much. I made the design I wanted, using hands from watchawear for now. I will master the task of making simple hands as you demonstrate, and then share on the Google group. I even have an idea or two for design (dandelion clock perhaps?). Just one last question... I can't find a PayPal link to send you a beer. :-)

yes, i think it would work. In Watchface Designer I’ll keep clockwise and counter-clockwise and the app will do the right thing when exporting to clockskin (I’ve already implemented it but have not released it yet).

Jul 31, 2017 21:15:08 GMT 1 revdkathy said:
Thank you so much. I made the design I wanted, using hands from watchawear for now. I will master the task of making simple hands as you demonstrate, and then share on the Google group. I even have an idea or two for design (dandelion clock perhaps?). Just one last question... I can't find a PayPal link to send you a beer. :-) 

Glad I could help. The beer donations have been suggested by Mike aka CableLeecher in the middle of this thread so the link is somewhere there. All donations will help me buy and Android Watch to test this app (I don't have one yet).

Here it is again: paypal.me/mpmf.

Perhaps I should put it on the first post?

Jul 31, 2017 21:25:37 GMT 1 mpmf said:
Jul 31, 2017 21:15:08 GMT 1 revdkathy said:

Glad I could help. The beer donations have been suggested by Mike aka CableLeecher in the middle of this thread so the link is somewhere there. All donations will help me buy and Android Watch to test this app (I don't have one yet).

Here it is again: paypal.me/mpmf.

Perhaps I should put it on the first post?

I looked in the first post, and in your profile. One or other would help. I can't send much, but a few euros for a beer are well deserved.
Jul 31, 2017 21:40:37 GMT 1 revdkathy said:
I looked in the first post, and in your profile. One or other would help. I can't send much, but a few euros for a beer are well deserved. 

Thanks. I'll add it to the first post, then.

Hi mpmf!

I’m not done with the images for the Digital Clock Layer yet :wink: !
This was such a great addition and I’m using this a lot while playing with my designs.

Would it be possible to implement some way of scaling these images? Maybe even autofit inside a user defined rectangle?
It would avoid creating many identical images of different sizes to fit different watchfaces.

Regards
arb2040

Aug 1, 2017 11:20:27 GMT 1 arb2040 said:
Hi mpmf!

I’m not done with the images for the Digital Clock Layer yet :wink: !
This was such a great addition and I’m using this a lot while playing with my designs.

Would it be possible to implement some way of scaling these images? Maybe even autofit inside a user defined rectangle?
It would avoid creating many identical images of different sizes to fit different watchfaces.

Regards
arb2040

That’s certainly possible. However I have no idea on how the user interface would be to enable that. I’ll think about it and if I find a solution to keep it simple, I’ll do it. In the meanwhile, if you have a suggestion for the UI for this functionality, I’d be glad to hear it.

One question: should the scale be different for each image, or could the same scale be applied to all images in the DigitalClockLayer? If it is the same scale for all, that may simplify the UI…