Suggestions, bugs, etc for next firmware to developers

Feb 14, 2019 18:00:54 GMT jockyw2001 said:
I have written a calibration procedure in this forum. You'll find it if you search for it.

I have already tried that too and my GPS can't lock.
Feb 14, 2019 18:00:19 GMT StormChild said:
Feb 14, 2019 16:44:08 GMT hjor said:

I have already tried that and my GPS can’t lock.
I only have GPS with celular data.

Try to change the following:

Settings → Connect → GPS → Mode to Device only, or if it still doesn’t work, try to switch to the other two settings.

That’s what i do when i want GPS because with Device only, doesn’t lock.

Feb 14, 2019 18:35:18 GMT hjor said:
Feb 14, 2019 18:00:19 GMT StormChild said:

Try to change the following:

Settings → Connect → GPS → Mode to Device only, or if it still doesn’t work, try to switch to the other two settings.

That’s what i do when i want GPS because with Device only, doesn’t lock.

Try to reset the A-GPS data and redownload it. GPS Status can display the age of A-GPS data, be sure to set the download interval in the app’s setting to 6 hours or so.

I don’t have SIM installed, so I always use the watch’s built-in GPS. When I don’t refresh the A-GPS data for like 2 days, the watch gets a GPS lock after a minute or more, and when the A-GPS data’s age was 4 days, I’ve tried to get a lock for at least 5 minutes when I gave up.

If neither jockyw2001's nor my solution work, then you may have a faulty watch…

The orientation of 3gp video file is inverted botton to top in last firmware from 201901 …

I can not access to the SHIFT button of my keyboard (native one)
Very angry because I can not access to Amp Store without account (I need shift key for my password) Am I the only one with that problem ? (New user)

Hallo,
You can choose sight from round to square with the upper hardware button and in settings…more…third party apps support.
In combination with this three possibilities it should work… Good luck and goog eyes…all very small:)

Feb 17, 2019 10:06:22 GMT iandhope said:
Hallo, . You can choose sight from round to square with the upper hardware button and in settings..more..third party apps support. . In combination with this three possibilities it should work... Good luck and goog eyes...all very small:)

Look the screen. SHIFT is impossible to have. W is hard but after some attempt, I can have It. Q & A is ok like all other button. Round to square didnt change nothing. Is that watch screen physical problem or ... ?

Thanks for help.

You can change round and square allways. You start writing…no problem.
You aktivate the 3party app support in settings?

Feb 17, 2019 11:30:18 GMT iandhope said:
You can change round and square allways. You start writing..no problem. . You aktivate the 3party app support in settings?

Yes, I did, but that didnt change nothing. I will try a reboot.

Ok.
I found a solution: i had to let my finger on SHIFT during some second, and don’t know why, It work …

A couple of suggestions

1. Ability to rearrange the apps in whatever order. (a 3~4sec long press on the app would do)
  2. For “App List Style” it includes A) “tile”(2~3 columns & unlimited rows), B) the Bubbles (like apple watch), C) a second “Arc” but continuously looped so an “Arc Loop”
  3. The “always on” clock, we get to choose which clockface and 3 levels of brightness
  4. For the “quick toggles”, where it has the 3 level brightness, No/Off notifications, and so on… if we can do a long press and a sliding bar brightness level. a long press on notifications and it give you the option to set sound Off/low/loud, and vibration Off/light/high, and brightness off/dim/high. and then a long press on either the GPS or Bluetooth or Wifi takes you to its corresponding menu int he setting app.
  5. The 2 physical buttons keep them as they are, but add a 2~3 second press, we get to choose what to map them to. as example google assistant or top one for volume control and bottom one for the email app or whatever we choose.
  6. when putting the screen in Square mode, in some apps, it gets pushed to the right or left. Maybe the ability to “2 finger Tripple tap and hold” the screen so we can move the app a couple of millimeters up/down/left/right.
Feb 4, 2019 16:29:55 GMT Hellooooo said:

Hi all,

Ive just got the Kospet Hope 4G smartwatch and first impressions are great.

I mainly bought it for fitness purposes and I am trying to migrate my fitness stats to better health apps like strava or wear OS etc but nothing seems to work.

I have a Huawei phone and can’t migrate it to their app too. Does anyone know of any fitness apps where it works?

The wii watch 2 app is rubbish for fitness data as it refers to check the watch which is useless as I want a history backlog and visualised.

Also do you know if this watch has offline (none 4G) GPS tracking and can monitor all fitness stuff if I don’t want to put my SIM in it?

Thanks

yep, use any health app on the watch and it syncs to your account on any device also use HeartOnTop which syncs with google fit.
yep, gps works fine without data connection have tested.

xstu25

do you mean shift on the keyboard? then use different one like the touchpal lite or jbak2 if you mean on the page then tapping the page will lower the keyboard and you can do next.

One easy and helpful update would be to rotate the watch 180º, so that it can be used on a right hand,with the camera facing out. I usually wear watches on the right, but it makes no sense to use this one on the right, because of the camera…

Feb 18, 2019 18:25:08 GMT soniasophie9697 said:xstu25

do you mean shift on the keyboard? then use different one like the touchpal lite or jbak2 if you mean on the page then tapping the page will lower the keyboard and you can do next.

hi, I tried jbak2 but didn’t manage to reduce size such that it shows the full keyboard. Can you describe your setting? Thx!

brnxgrc AvatarMar 2, 2019 17:33:10 GMT brnxgrc said:
One easy and helpful update would be to rotate the watch 180º, so that it can be used on a right hand,with the camera facing out. I usually wear watches on the right, but it makes no sense to use this one on the right, because of the camera...

True that.

I wear the Kospet on my right wrist, because there is the Amazfit Stratos on the left. Why? Because the Hope is a beast, but of a fat kind, so he doesn’t know too much about fitness. (The “Fitness” app on the Hope is nothing, it doesn’t use the GPS - but on other watches there are updated versions of the same app, so there is still some hope that one fine day we’ll get a REAL, proper update - not just the mac-address bug fixer “patch” - with a lot of polish and goodies.)

There is this open source app (I haven’t tried myself, but it promises what you’re after): github.com/zlsa/autogyro

(Of course there are a few other apps in Google Play for rotating the screen, but I wanted an open source one.)

Edit: this one is also promising:play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.crape.rotationcontrol&hl=en_US

(There are a lot of screen rotation control apps, but their reviews are kinda mixed.)

Mar 3, 2019 5:49:32 GMT StormChild said:
I used this one

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bong.android.androidlock

The two you mentioned had the controls on the notifications, and they were not very easy to use on a watch… Still, this one works like a charm, thank you!

Mar 3, 2019 5:49:32 GMT StormChild said:

True that.

I wear the Kospet on my right wrist, because there is the Amazfit Stratos on the left. Why? Because the Hope is a beast, but of a fat kind, so he doesn’t know too much about fitness. (The “Fitness” app on the Hope is nothing, it doesn’t use the GPS - but on other watches there are updated versions of the same app, so there is still some hope that one fine day we’ll get a REAL, proper update - not just the mac-address bug fixer “patch” - with a lot of polish and goodies.)

There is this open source app (I haven’t tried myself, but it promises what you’re after): github.com/zlsa/autogyro

(Of course there are a few other apps in Google Play for rotating the screen, but I wanted an open source one.)

Edit: this one is also promising:play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.crape.rotationcontrol&hl=en_US

(There are a lot of screen rotation control apps, but their reviews are kinda mixed.)

Thank you for your answer. One question, then, why don’t you just use the Stratos? That one was my first choice, and I bought the Hope Lite because of better price and camera, mostly… I think I regret that decision, though…

As for the rotation, thank you, I am using it on the right arm already I used this one

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bong.android.androidlock

The two you mentioned had the controls on the notifications, and they were not very easy to use on a watch… Still, this one works like a charm, thank you!

Saw that app you’ve mentioned, but its description says “contains ads”, so I skipped it. Thanks for letting us know it works, I’ll install it soon!

About the Stratos: if I could keep only one watch, it would be the Stratos (you can’t beat the transflective display under direct sunlight, plus it’s always on without burning in or consuming almost any power. The downside is that it has pale and washed colours, and while it has background light, the picture quality can’t be compared to AMOLED), but wearing both watches seems to be pretty fun ATM.

But if I would have to choose between the Amazfit Verge and the Kospet Hope, it would be the Hope: I had the Pace before Stratos and I loved that watch too, but IMO the Verge is a downgrade from the Stratos, because it has an AMOLED display (for a fitness watch it’s not too good), it has basically the Pace’s HW (512MB RAM, 4GB ROM, same SoC…), it’s not waterproof like the Stratos (because of the speaker and mic).

I love my Kospet Hope, it just isn’t my dream daily driver watch, but it COULD be.

Will there be a new firmware? I wonder if Kospet would roll out a new FW in the near future.

Why? Because Chinese devices are awesome, but Chinese software is… Well, it’s only my experience, but they like to abandon an otherwise brilliant device.

I fear the same will happen to the Kospet Hope: they use the same buggy and unfinished Android 7 firmware some of the companies created, but they don’t have the resources needed to step up the game.

Is the Kospet Hope an awesome watch? Yes, BUT… There is always a ‘but’ after a sentence like this, because everything seems to be unfinished, unpolished, created only because they wanted to sell a few thousand watches. Chinese companies (except a few major players like Xiaomi and Huawei, just to name a few) don’t really understand the need for a good UI and a mostly bug-free software/firmware. Software is 75%, hardware is 25% IMO. I’ve had more than a dozen KickStarter and Indiegogo projects, but you can’t cooperate with Shenzhen (in most of the cases) based campaigners, they already have the final, finished product, just want to get some attention.

I’ve backed Unihertz’s first phone named Jelly Pro, it was ALMOST awesome, I gave it to my brother and he likes it, but the screen and the battery was sub-par.

Their second campaign was the Atom, which mostly has the same HW as my Blackview BV9500, it has a Helio P23 SoC with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, BUT the Atom has exactly the same sub-par display as the Jelly Pro had. With a lot bigger AMOLED display I would have loved that phone, but I couldn’t, so I already sold it.

Xiaomi plays correct, because they give the developers the needed sources for most of their phones, so the Pocophone F1 became a true hit with one of the best support on XDA.

Kospet doesn’t cooperate with us, I never saw their developers here. Kospet has the needed power to become a true beast, BUT seemingly Kospet doesn’t have the needed resources to polish their FW, but they also don’t want to release the needed sources to let a few talented people create a ROM which would let the Hope fly.

They won’t provide the needed sources, although they would have to according to the licences of the used components and libraries.

They would sell a lot more devices than they actually do. All they want is to sell a few devices without providing any real support.

(I wanted to buy an AGM X3 phone instead of my big and bulky BV9500, but neither of the phones has real support, so I’ll keep what I’ve already bought.)

Kospet, do you have some goodies for us? I do hope so, otherwise I’ll have to sell my watch to someone who doesn’t already have a better one (like my Amazfit Stratos).

Or you will be another unfulfilled hope.

Obviously life would be a lot easier if Kospet would share the source code, but chances getting these are slim. Behind Kospet there is actually KingWear (ODM), ALPS is the board manufacturer, and moreover a Shenzhen based independent board solution provider who do the firmware/software for nearly all MediaTek based droid watches on the market. This solution provider will of course never share the source code. Actually they don’t even develop the sw, as it comes from MediaTek, they just do branding and customization. Anyone can have the SDK if they sign a NDA and pay MediaTek enough for a license. That’s not a solution for those who just want to build better custom roms. What remains is analyzing and reverse engineering the available firmware and reuse different parts of it, e.g kernel and modules to build custom roms. This is feasible but can be very time consuming. Especially because the droid developer community is very small. In this community I have only seen Iscle and Ricktop and I consider myself also to be one

Perhaps you saw my post in this thread /thread/3338/bluetooth-calling-solution-kospet-hope
I do have full source code of MT6737 and MT6739 based phones. There is a chance it can speed up the work to build a better version of android. It may also be helpful to build a Wear OS version, I actually found Wear OS software components in the droid firmware, which proves it can be build with the MediaTek SDK. Furtermore there is “asteroidos” (https://asteroidos.org/) which also looks cool. Only very few droid users in this community have played with this, e.g. see /post/31937/thread

In my opinion the Kospet is a great toy for developers and hackers like me. It even does all the things I want it to do on a daily basis. If it is not good enough for you then stick to your Stratos or buy an even better main stream watch, but don’t put your
“hope” on kospet

1 Like