Moon phase question for @iscle

I would like to see a “true” moon phase application, not one that change over 8 positions, rather one that moves day-by-day (28 day cycles). I’ve prepared the 28 png images, but don’t have the talent to construct the xlm file to make it a reality.

Is this something you would entertain doing?

@doubledad Well, the exact lenght is 29,53, I guess. It’s possible to make it exact if you create a “.watch” file and use it with UL. I’ve started to offer a watchfile, too, whenever I create a clockskin watchface.

As a basic user with a standard launcher and no desire to deal with the complications of “.watch” and the UL… Is it not possible using a .xml file and 28 images (understanding it would not be exactly “precise”)?

The dates for the moon phases are permanently programmed in all the stocklaunchers. Until the year 2100, if I remember correctly. So as I see it, so it needs a new stocklauncher to work.

1 Like

LOL

today I’ve learned you can use Android Wear watchfaces with the stock launcher (at least on the Hope and on the LEMT), so you could always create an “official” Wear watchface with the full moonphase support and use it with the stock launcher…

As @G1NT0N1C said, moonphases are “hardcoded” into the stock launcher, the following are for 2019:

I don’t know how moonphases work, or how they’ve implemented them. From what I can see, there are 29 options for 2019, 30 for 2020, etc. If you explain to me a bit more how they work, maybe I can give you extra information.

By the way, Eric is the expert when it comes to ClockSkin and launcher topics :smiley:

2 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Wear watchface on our Android watches

can be this discussion in another explicit thread.

To make it simple, stock launcher use this moonphase table where you’ll find Full moon, first quater, New moon and last quater dates. Then it simply determine the right bitmap depending on the date and if you’re between two moon calendar dates… Well if you want something precise with this, then it’s probably not possible.
On the other side, UL works using the astronomical formula, which gives the precise number for each day and will last long after our watches are old stuff… :smile: So, with UL we could add a new moon array type with a day precision, that’s easy stuff…

1 Like

Eric - Many thanks for your insight!

I am an 80 year old novice without programming skills and if - as you say “that’s easy stuff” - I would very much appreciate your creating a new moon array type with a day precision for the UL. I have prepared 28 images which, if needed, can be updated to account for a 29+ image.

Ok, my calculation gives a result between 0 and 29, so 30 images. If you want that i can add it in beta release for you to test. I can also make another range from this one if you want 28 images max or something.

Fantastic!

I really don’t know what a 29th or 30th image would gain, so let’s stay with the 28 images I have already prepared. Again - since I’m a novice - will the array be in the form of a .xml file and if so, how will you name the images so I can name them appropriately (e.g., Moon_0.png, Moon_1.png, etc)?

Yes it will be of the same form as the usual moon array, just 28 images to define in it. No special name, what count is the index in the xml. First one is 0…

By the way I just found this moon animation
https://images.app.goo.gl/BK9fGDQmXu4GggDw5

So, using the following nomiclature (Moon_0.png) is OK?

Beta version is here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1utTZIKUxG_DKcasvGjo9t1kKrXXKmuN4
Use the same arraytype 19 as usual, the only difference is that i will take the number of pictures in the XML file to determine the correct moon phase number.
It can be like this with 30 images or with less images:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <drawables>
 	<image>moon_0.png</image>
 	<image>moon_1.png</image>
 	<image>moon_29.png</image>
</drawables>

So it will work for existing faces with only 8 images also, right?

Yes that’s the idea, it will adapt to any number of images you put in your XML.

2 Likes

That’s great. I’ll try it this evening.

1 Like

Eric - As I previously stated I am a novice and - if you would be so kind - I need to be walked-though installing on my Les2…
(1) I constructed the attached XML prototype in Excel, but can’t save as XML in my Excel version
(2) I have downloaded ClockSkinCoco APK to the download folder of my watch.
(3) I have the attached pictures for the XML
(4) What do I have to do to (a) add the pictures to the XML; and. (b) make it all “work” on the Les2?

Now, on my PC I have a folder with the 28 images (Moon_0.png, etc) and your AndroidManifest.xlm file.

I assume the .xml must now be as shown above in my last post. Problem is, I don’t know how (or even if I can) save that .xls file as .xlm