LEMFO LEM10: Observations and comments from a consumer in the USA (long write up)

Main reasons for buying the Smartwatch.
When going for a run or working out in the gym, ideally, I do not like to carry my giant phablet phone with me. A watch that can take and make calls independent of the phablet phone comes in handy in this scenario. Along with that, the ability to play stored music and videos is useful also. Also like to use Google Voice or other calling apps for phone calls and texts.

What I am looking for in the full Android Smartwatch.

• Screen size and format need to accommodate regular Android apps usage. All app buttons should be readily available to use when needed.

• No constraints of eSim implementation as you find in Apple watch, Samsung watches and Android Wear watches. They don’t work with MVNOs like Ting, Mint or Simple Mobile.

• Accommodate storage (drag and drop of folders and files) of audio and video files and folders without the need for using iTunes or other companion applications like Filemaster.

• Accommodate listening of audio over Bluetooth using Bluetooth headphones.

• Ability to use apps like Spotify, Radio apps or Youtube music over 4g.

• Ability to use workout apps like Interval timers, countdown timers and stopwatch.

• Ability to make phone calls using the sim number as well as using VOIP apps.

• Ability to fully use the watch without worrying about battery running out before the end of the day. I don’t see the point of owning a watch/device where you have to turn off screen brightness, data etc. and reduce the usage of applications/underuse the device for it to last at least one day. Samsung Galaxy Watch, Apple Watch and Android Wear watches are available which can last at the very least a whole day (some of them last 2 to 3 days of normal usage now) before running out of battery.

• Getting notifications from the primary phone nearby also comes in handy but not critical.

• Decent implementation of the usual gamut of sensors such as GPS, heartrate and accelerometer.

Where LEM10 stands.

• Screen size and format: Rectangular screen and relatively bigger screen size allow for comparatively easier use of many of the full android apps from the play store compared to the round android watches.

• Storage: LEM 10 can store at least 10GB of media or other files comfortably. Most Samsung, Apple or Android Wear watches max out at about 2GB usable storage. LEM10 and other full Android watches generally allow for straightforward drag and drop of folders and files from the PC via USB unlike Tizen, Android Wear or Apple watches which require companion applications installed on the mobile phone or PC/MAC

• SIM card for phone calls and data: Prepaid nano sim on T-Mobile/MVNOs work for calls and data.Gets reasonable data speeds. Not tied down to a carrier through eSim. On average I see 4Mbps download speeds.

• Wi-Fi connection : Connection is decent but it seems to disconnect occasionally.

• Camera: Comes with a basic but usable camera built in which can be used for taking pictures and videos. Can be used for video calls with apps like Whatsapp. Camera is not available on Galaxy Watch, Apple Watch and Android Wear watches like Ticwatch.

• Heart rate monitor: Comes with a heart rate monitor. It works when resting but not usable for workout or running. Accuracy is bad.

• Strap/Watch band: Comes with a removable watch strap with Velcro closure. One of the most functional straps I have seen. Does not slip/slide around much when you are sweating while working out or running. Most of the full Android watches from China comes with non-removable straps. If/when the strap breaks watch becomes unusable as a watch. Removable straps avoid that problem.

• Battery life : Five to six hours of battery life in my use case with 1 hour of music over Bluetooth headphones along with keeping screen at about 30 percent brightness. Wifi was off but 4g data was enabled. Location/GPS was turned off.

• GPS : Have gotten solid GPS lock indoors and outdoors.

• Cost : Less expensive compared to a “new” Samsung or Apple watches or the many Android Wear watches. Used/refurbished devices of the above-mentioned brands/platforms are available at comparable prices on etailers like eBay. Brand new Ticwatch Pro is available at $249 for comparison. New Apple Watch Series 3 is available at $199 on BestBuy.

CONS of buying this device.

• Touchscreen use: Accuracy is not up to par. Actually, it is pretty bad. Touch registers away from the point of contact which makes it hard to use the watch comfortably especially when using the keyboard and app buttons. Also interferes with the comfortable use of gesture apps.

• Heart rate monitor: Not accurate at all for exercise/workout or running. I did not have any expectations about heart rate monitor but it would be nice if it were to perform accurately for workouts and running.

• Bluetooth headphone instability: Not sure if I have a defective watch but haven’t been able to get a constant connection to my headphones (tried with different brands) when the watch is worn on the left wrist while walking or when moving the arms slightly behind the waist in a standing position. I am 6 ft tall and distance between wrist and headphone on the ears is only about 3 feet.

Sometimes it works inside the house but outdoors in the open area/ground Bluetooth cuts out constantly and cannot listen to music/audio properly. When worn on the right hand it is somewhat better but that is an uncomfortable compromise.

When the watch was used in the gym with other people/devices around, Bluetooth connection cuts out regularly when watch is on the left hand. Less when the watch is on the right hand. Again, this is when the watch is at the waist level or behind. Tried with multiple reputable brands of headphones such as Sony, Plantronics, Jabra, Anker and Bose. Same result with all of them.

In comparison, my old and trusted Samsung Gear S2 has no problems maintaining a strong Bluetooth connection to headphones.

• Battery: Without tweaking and under using, battery won’t last 8 hours based on my experience

• Launcher: It is what it is but the App drawer organization in the matrix mode needs a simple alphabetical sorting mode. I have ignored the bubble mode completely since I don’t find it useful for quickly finding apps. Use of Square Home launcher with Edge Gestures and Power Shortcuts has solved this issue for me.

• Charging cable: Only 1 cable included. Manufacturer could have included an extra cable since it is proprietary and getting a spare one takes a shipment from China.

• Support and customer service: Lemfo is located in China so for a customer in the USA it will be a headache/hassle to manage if any issue comes up. Sending the watch for repair and getting a replacement etc. can take quite a bit of time. Not as easy as walking to the neighborhood BestBuy and dealing with the local customer service. Also keep in mind the language and consumer protection differences.

Final Words.
Overall, this is one of the better full Android Watch among the many that gets released regularly from China. With some improvements this watch can be a daily driver as a smartwatch and can stand in place for a phone as well. I hope Lemfo will release an overall improved version with a slightly bigger screen size similar to the Lem4 Pro.

3 Likes

Also built in speaker volume is buggy below 50% volume.

Apparently, they are fixing the bugs, including the unusable heart rate sensor in a firmware update.

Ip-67 ish water proof is great, as I’ve been running a lot lately while raining.