Hope Non-Responsive

Other than the sticky power button that was fixed with WD40 (thanks @pablo11) , I’ve had no issues since February when I received my Hope.

Today, I updated some apps without wifi turned on and when I came back to check progress (20 minutes or so), the watch was unresponsive and warm to touch. Double clicked bottom button phone would not turn on. Pressed power button with no response. Pressed and held power button with no response. I then attached the charge cable, hoping to get the battery graphic, and got no response. By this time the watch is very warm to touch so I disconnected and placed in the refrigerator to cool down. Once cooled, I reconnected charge cable but still no response. The watch gets a little warm but not abnormal during charging.

Any ideas to get response? Any button combinations to reset? TIA…

Swirch it on and let it run empty. Then load your watch and restart, if possible. If it doesn’t work, you’ll have to flash the Firmware.
And, by the way- Please never put an electronic device in the fridge again.

1 Like

The fridge technique is a new one for me ?

Unfortunately, I can’t tell if it is turned on or not. For the last hour or so, I just let the watch sit and it (not on charger) and while still non responsive it is slightly warn to touch. When I started the updates the phone had 90% charge so I’ll just wait.

As far as the frig is concerned, I take your point but I figured 30 - 45 seconds wouldn’t hurt.

If you press and hold both buttons together does anything at all happens ? Hold until u see a response .

1 Like

Took your advice and held for 15 seconds with no response. At this point the watch was no longer warm to touch, so I attached the charge cable and got a response with the ‘dead’ red battery graphic. At this point it is now charging. I’m thinking my cell signal was too low for update and the watch got caught in some kind of loop until battery completely died. Thanks guys for your assistance, I think I am good to go now.

2 Likes

I’m interested if you were just updating Google apps or could the watch have been downloading an OTA update in the background?
This is unusual behaviour so I’m curious…

So, once the watch was fully charged, I noticed that the Google app update stopped at 25%. I turned on wifi but the update did not continue. I cancelled the update and started it again and it completed successfully.

I was not aware an OTA was available. In checking, my current build is Hope_B_20190320. So no update there.

I really believe that my cell signal was not strong enough for the app update and the watch crashed/entered a non responsive loop. Once the battery drained, it reset once put on the charger.

All is well now.

1 Like

Great news . Good to hear we got it back on for you :+1: .

2 Likes

Hello, im also having trouble with a non responsive Kospet Hope. Upon attaching the charge cable i do get the battery charge indicator and it shows the splash screen for a few seconds but refuses to turn on. Ive teiwd holding the power button in many many different time configurations(1 sec, 3sec, 5, 8, 2minutes even) and i get nothing. It is at 100% battery. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!! Oh yeah, ive tried both buttons together as well to no avail.

Mine has done same thing 2 times, Put in a bag of rice for a few days, I remove sim door while in rice, The summer heat and sweat or to much of a water splash.

I’ve wondered if plugging the watch into a PC with the data cable would automatically turn on the watch? I’ve been too lazy to try and have had no reason, so far to try.

It seems the issue is hardware, meaning the power button. I’d try the suggestion from @James_Fike to see if that might work. I might also try the suggestion by @pablo11 in another thread of a drop or two of WD40 (silicone spray) around the base of the power button. Hopefully one of these will work for you.

I think your power button is stuck as mentioned above.
Try to free it up using the process I described in the other thread. A tiny drop of wd40 or similar thin lubricant around the area under the power button.
But it is very important to use just a very tiny amount and let it soak in.

Well i tried the wd40 but nothing doing. It still says 100% when i plug it in and the white kospet screen comes on before the battery indicator. I think the power button is partially to blame, as its click is very light and unpronounced as compared to the back button. Also while it was soaking in the wd40 i pressed the power button several times and there was grit in the mechanism, seems to not be there now, but the button click is still weak. I messaged banggood and they require you to have the original grey bag it was shipped in and i dont have it so therefore am unable.to get an exchange on my watch. Thia is a bummer. Does anyone have experience tearing into one of these? Could i take it apart and somehow fix the button click and possibly it would then work?

Having the original grey bag it was shipped in, probably isn’t in their return policy, you should check.
It sounds like them trying to get out of fixing/replacing it. Since they know almost no one will still have that except maybe a hoarder.

If it isn’t in their return policy, then they don’t actually require it, regardless of what they say.

You can open it up, just be careful and take your time. Keep track of where all the screws go, maybe find a video tutorial.
You may be able to find a way to completely remove the button to clean it.

I’m considering opening my kospet hope so i can water proof the main board with clear enamel or a conformal coating. Since i don’t trust the seal on the Sim Card cover.

1 Like

This isnt the first time they have asked for the " grey bag " back . Shocking :persevere:

Wow! Now that’s a good one! They want the original Grey bag the item was shipped in?! Well I’ve heard some weird & wonderful ways companies use to get out of making a refund, but these guys take the cake. That’s the biggest problem with online shopping…not really any regulatory bodies to keep these companies in line. I would certainly take @lazybunnykiera suggestion and at least check on that being a condition of their return policy. Sounds like baloney to me. Cheers, Doons

1 Like

I ordered my Hope new from Ebay oddly enough. With all the problems people have been having, i’m wishing i spent the extra $15 on the 2 year protection plan that ebay offers.

@lazybunnykiera I too ordered my Hope off Ebay…from a Seller that had quite a few negative feedbacks (Unusual for me as I normally shop with 100%positive Sellers) and I was more than pleased with the service. He was not offering and extended protection plan (I don’t think any sellers of the Sellers I came across did that were selling Kospets) So far I have had no problems at all with my Hope, but the mounting numbers of people that are is something of a concern. But to be honest I only wear my Kospet as a “Dress” watch. So it isn’t being used on a daily basis and is never subject to sweat or water of any kind. Let us keep our fingers crossed @lazybunnykiera that we are going to be two of the lucky, trouble free owners. Cheers, Doons

Not to insult your intelligence but have you tried to hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds to power on? I noticed today that when charging the watch when off, I could ‘short’ press the power button and would get the white screen then battery meter. When I ‘long’ press until I see the white screen, the watch powers up. Again, I mean no offense, just trying to explore every option

1 Like